Heather's Blog

Friday, July 14, 2006

I have heard incidents of celebrity parents (I can't remember who, exactly) naming their children such things as Moon Unit and Dweezil. Now, I know some people who have compiled lists of names for future children. I, on the other hand, think that I'll compile a list of names that I will never, under any circumstances use. These are:

1. Hester (the woman in The Scarlet Letter)
2. Nabal (it's from the Bible, yes... but it means 'fool')
3. Wrestling (there was actually a kid on the Mayflower with this name)
4. Christmas (not a bad name in itself, but the various jokes made about it would get old VERY fast)
5. Hapshepsut (this was an Egyptian queen, I think)
6. Gomer (another Biblical name... but I won't cover why I'll never use it here. Look up Hosea if you're curious)
7. Baka (Japanese for 'fool' if memory serves)
8. Jadis (it sounds evil, and with good reason-- Jadis is the name of the White Witch in the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and the former ruler of Charn)
9. Any name longer than twenty letters (can you imagine the kid in first grade, trying to write his full name out?)

That's all I can come up with for now. I might add more later.

5 Comments:

  • At 4:01 PM, Blogger Adelina said…

    Moon Unit and Dweezil are Frank Zappa's kids. (Don't ask me who Frank Zappa is, I'm not really sure other than the fact that he's a singer.) Hatshepsut was the only woman pharoh, and according to our history book, probably the adoptive mother of Moses. And, hey, what about Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz. It's from Isaiah chapter 8, and it's only 18 letters long. Oh yeah, and other pilgrim children were named things such as Lettuce, Ham, and--my personal favorite--Love. Yes, there was a boy on the Mayflower named Love. And a girl named Remember Patience Whipple.

     
  • At 4:04 PM, Blogger Adelina said…

    And I also wouldn't name my daughter Tamar. (Genesis 38.)

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Blogger Adelina said…

    Haha. How much do you want to bet that if you decided to name your kid Christmas before they were born, that they would come past due? (Slow as Christmas in coming.) Sorry. I guess this just proves that there would be a SERIOUS ammount of jokes.

     
  • At 9:51 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    The Mayflower kid named Love, if I remember correctly, was Wrestling's brother. And I'm pretty sure Remember Patience Whipple is fictional (I read the Dear America book, and it says in the back that she and her diary are fictitious).

    I hadn't heard Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz before... there's another one for the list. Tamar goes there too.

     
  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger Adelina said…

    Oops! But there were real girls named Remember. Oh, I talked to Jenny today, and told her she should get a blog, but I don't know if she will.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home