Heather's Blog

Friday, December 01, 2006

It really, really bothers me when people use the apostrophe s ('s) to pluralize words.

Yes, I'm trying to start posting regularly. Can I help it if my life is boring and I have nothing better to write about than grammar?

It's not even a hard rule to remember, yet so many people make it!

I guess everyone has flaws, though. Personally, I can't pronounce anything correctly. I can read it, I know what it means, but I pronounce it wrong. Most notably, subpoena. On my part, though, it does look a lot different than it sounds...

Now I know the Latin root words for it, sub (under) and poena (punishment). But I still can't figure out why it would be pronounced "soo-peena". Or maybe I still have it wrong...

1 Comments:

  • At 2:46 PM, Blogger Adelina said…

    oh, my word you seriously made my day better. you really made me laugh. sopina, huh? oh, well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home