I finally read Eragon.
I did enjoy it, and will certainly be reading Eldest next time I get to the library, but there were several things which bothered me. The two major issues I had with Eragon were:
1. Saphira will eventually annihilate the planet.
2. Eragon is an idiot.
Okay, maybe idiot is a bit strong. Still, there were times when I just wanted to give him a good smack upside the head in an attempt to knock some sense into him.
(Of course, smacking a dude who's best friend is a rather large, definitely lethal dragon might qualify me for the status of idiot...)
But I suppose I should deal with the first issue first.
All right, in Eragon there were two facts about dragons which, in themselves, do not pose an issue. Together, however, is a completely different story. These are:
1. Dragons live forever.
2. Dragons never stop growing.
The whole immortality thing isn't really uncommon among fantasy creatures, and I believe that crocodiles never stop growing.
But crocodiles aren't immortal. The fact that they have a finite lifespan places an obvious limit to their growth.
Not so with dragons. Furthermore, Saphira's growth was exceedingly rapid (although I can understand that it probably won't continue at the same rate for her whole lifespan). Even if her growth rate slows to something like, say, a foot a year, this still poses an obvious issue.
Little by little, Saphira will grow. She will become larger than a mountain. She will become larger than an island. She will become larger than a continent. She will eventually crush Alagaesia (I'm too lazy to put in the umlaut). She will eventually grow too large for the planet to hold.
And when that happens, one stray swish of her tail will send the planet out of its orbit, either flying into the sun or out into the cold, unforgiving depths of space.
Yeah. I'm surprised that Paolini didn't think of that.
Now I'll move on to point number two. Eragon is supposedly intelligent enough that he can learn to read in a week. However, he seems to be seriously lacking in common sense. I will give two examples (two seems to be the theme of this post).
1. Threatening to torture someone is apparently all right, but whacking off the head of a slaver? No way.
During Eragon's escape from Durza's prison, he threatens to inflict years of torment on a guard by implanting an ever-burning grain of sand in his gut. I found this scene disturbing, as it was a serious departure from Eragon's established character (that is, that of an impulsive young man who will always do what he believes is right, no matter the consequence). Such a threat would have been more suited coming from Murtagh (who was much less idealistic).
However, later on, when Eragon and Murtagh are attacked by slavers, Eragon yells at Murtagh for chopping of the head of the slaver band's leader. What was Eragon thinking? If Murtagh had let the man escape, and the man had managed to get to civilization and start up a new band, more innocents would have been captured and forced into a life of slavery. It's not like the guy hadn't struck first.
2. I don't like you, so no more magic for you! Who cares if we're fighting the same war?
Those poor nameless Twins, while unpleasant, were magicians fighting with the Varden. Eragon was a dragonrider (and thus a magic-user) fighting with the Varden. Why does Eragon seek to keep his magic words a secret? Logically, he should be happy to share anything which would help others in the fight against the Empire. Even if Eragon personally dislikes the Twins, teaching them all he knows would help the Varden, and could potentially turn the tides of battle.
I know, I know. Eragon is young, and can't be expected to know everything. But still, is it that difficult to think these things through?
Still, I've enjoyed the Inheritance series so far. I can't wait to read Eldest.
I did enjoy it, and will certainly be reading Eldest next time I get to the library, but there were several things which bothered me. The two major issues I had with Eragon were:
1. Saphira will eventually annihilate the planet.
2. Eragon is an idiot.
Okay, maybe idiot is a bit strong. Still, there were times when I just wanted to give him a good smack upside the head in an attempt to knock some sense into him.
(Of course, smacking a dude who's best friend is a rather large, definitely lethal dragon might qualify me for the status of idiot...)
But I suppose I should deal with the first issue first.
All right, in Eragon there were two facts about dragons which, in themselves, do not pose an issue. Together, however, is a completely different story. These are:
1. Dragons live forever.
2. Dragons never stop growing.
The whole immortality thing isn't really uncommon among fantasy creatures, and I believe that crocodiles never stop growing.
But crocodiles aren't immortal. The fact that they have a finite lifespan places an obvious limit to their growth.
Not so with dragons. Furthermore, Saphira's growth was exceedingly rapid (although I can understand that it probably won't continue at the same rate for her whole lifespan). Even if her growth rate slows to something like, say, a foot a year, this still poses an obvious issue.
Little by little, Saphira will grow. She will become larger than a mountain. She will become larger than an island. She will become larger than a continent. She will eventually crush Alagaesia (I'm too lazy to put in the umlaut). She will eventually grow too large for the planet to hold.
And when that happens, one stray swish of her tail will send the planet out of its orbit, either flying into the sun or out into the cold, unforgiving depths of space.
Yeah. I'm surprised that Paolini didn't think of that.
Now I'll move on to point number two. Eragon is supposedly intelligent enough that he can learn to read in a week. However, he seems to be seriously lacking in common sense. I will give two examples (two seems to be the theme of this post).
1. Threatening to torture someone is apparently all right, but whacking off the head of a slaver? No way.
During Eragon's escape from Durza's prison, he threatens to inflict years of torment on a guard by implanting an ever-burning grain of sand in his gut. I found this scene disturbing, as it was a serious departure from Eragon's established character (that is, that of an impulsive young man who will always do what he believes is right, no matter the consequence). Such a threat would have been more suited coming from Murtagh (who was much less idealistic).
However, later on, when Eragon and Murtagh are attacked by slavers, Eragon yells at Murtagh for chopping of the head of the slaver band's leader. What was Eragon thinking? If Murtagh had let the man escape, and the man had managed to get to civilization and start up a new band, more innocents would have been captured and forced into a life of slavery. It's not like the guy hadn't struck first.
2. I don't like you, so no more magic for you! Who cares if we're fighting the same war?
Those poor nameless Twins, while unpleasant, were magicians fighting with the Varden. Eragon was a dragonrider (and thus a magic-user) fighting with the Varden. Why does Eragon seek to keep his magic words a secret? Logically, he should be happy to share anything which would help others in the fight against the Empire. Even if Eragon personally dislikes the Twins, teaching them all he knows would help the Varden, and could potentially turn the tides of battle.
I know, I know. Eragon is young, and can't be expected to know everything. But still, is it that difficult to think these things through?
Still, I've enjoyed the Inheritance series so far. I can't wait to read Eldest.

1 Comments:
At 2:16 PM,
Adelina said…
there was some stuff I didn't like, too. but mostly I thought it was pretty good. Your comment about imortal, gowing dragons certainly makes sense. and is also amusing. (though that could be just because I don't live in that world--lol). though, as far as the character Eragon goes, there are lots of people who are quite smart, and yet lack common sense. (believe me, I know some of them. I might actually be one of them.) I hope you enjoy Eldest!
Post a Comment
<< Home